Best Korean Moisturizer For Oily Skin + Acne Prone Skin
Many people who have oily skin (and acne prone skin) tend to avoid using moisturizers as most moisturizers are not made for this skin type and they tend to make the skin even oilier or greasier. Luckily there are quite a few good moisturizers specially made for people with oily (acen prone) skin. Read on for a review of the best Korean moisturizer for oily skin on this Korean beauty blog.
More Korean moisturizing product reviews
- Best Ingredients in Moisturizers for Oily Skin
- What Is Oily Skin?
- Best Korean Moisturizer for Oily Skin
- 1. Klairs Rich Moist Soothing Cream
- 2. COSRX Oil-Free Ultra-Moisturizing Lotion
- 3. Benton Aloe Propolis Soothing Gel
- 4. Laneige Water Bank Hydro Cream EX
- 5. Nature Republic Shea Butter Steam Cream Fresh
- 6. The Plant Base AC Clear Moisture Pure N Cream
- 7. The Face Shop Dr. Belmeur Clarifying Facial Moisturizer
- 8. Innisfree Green Tea Fresh Cream
- 9. belif True Cream Aqua Bomb
- Final Verdict Best Korean Moisturizer for Oily Skin
- How to Use Korean Moisturizers for Oily Skin
- Other Korean Skin Care Products for Oily Skin
- Other Ways to Take Care of Oily Skin
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Ingredients in Moisturizers for Oily Skin
Picking the right moisturizer really depends on what skin type you have. If you have oily skin or oily acne prone skin, you really want to find a good moisturizer that suits your skin type and wouldn’t make it even oilier.
Before picking a moisturizer, check the label. You want to see one of the following terms on the label: oil-free, non-comedogenic (doesn’t clog your pores), water-based and non-acnegenic (doesn’t cause acne).
Apart from those terms, you also want to check all the ingredients. The following ingredients listed below are great for people with oily skin.
- Dimethicone – Dimethicone is a good alternative for oils, as it mimics the properties of oils but leaves your skin dry.
- Glycolic acid – Lessens the excessive production of oil and prevents clogging of the pores.
- Hyaluronic Acid – This is an incredibly light ingredient but is very moisturizing.
- Niacinamide – This ingredient improves the quality of the skin.
- Retinol – Increases collagen production and firms up the skin.
- Jojoba Oil – Balances the pH value of the skin and reduces breakouts.
- Grapeseed Oil – Clears acne and reduces breakouts.
- Hazelnut Oil – This dry oil unclogges the pores and naturally balances out the oil production.
Ingredients you really want to avoid as they can cause clogged pores and outbreak are as follow:
- Mineral oils
- Castor oil
- Petroleum jelly and petroleum derived ingredients
What Is Oily Skin?
Oily skin is skin that is prone to acne outbreaks and that produces a lot of excess oil. It is easily recognisable by the clogged pores, the many black heads and pimples. Everyone has oils on their face, but it becomes an issue when there is too much oil.
Most of the time oily skin is tends to run in the family and there is not much you can do to stop it. Other causes for oily skin might be your age, where you live and the weather conditions or when you are using the wrong skincare products.
1. What Is Oily Acne Prone Skin?
Acne outbreaks are often related to having oily skin, but not everyone with oily skin suffers from acne outbreaks. One of the most common causes for acne is the use of the wrong skincare products. If you know you have oily acne prone skin, you want to be extra careful with what you put on your face.
TIP! Avoid harsh products! These products could cause your skin to be drier and cause even more outbreaks.
Any Questions? Join our the Korea Skincare & Beauty Facebook Group here! Ask any questions you have, connect with fellow beauty enthusiasts and learn more about Korean skincare & beauty.
Best Korean Moisturizer for Oily Skin
Listed below is an overview of the best Korean moisturizer for oily skin. This is just an overview and personal selection. There are way more products which are suitable to use on oily skin. All the products listed below can be bought from Korean online skincare shops.
NOTE: If the products listed below are not improving your acne prone skin, consider doing a Korean acne treatment like Peeling or Infini Laser.
1. Klairs Rich Moist Soothing Cream
This soothing cream by Klairs is said to be suitable for all kinds of skin types, especially those with oily skin. It is definitely one of the best Korean moisturizer for oily skin types as it’s a very light cream but is extremely moisturizing. It will keep your skin glowing all day and doesn’t cause any outbreak. It is perfect for all seasons and many people with oily skin have praised this cream. Like all other Klairs products, this is completely vegan and cruelty-free.
NOTE: This product is also recommended as one of the best Korean moisturizers for dry skin. Most Klairs products are recommended for all skin types as they tend to be very lightweight.
Apart from this moisturizing cream, Klairs has a lot of other products that are suitable for people with oily skin, like the midnight blue calming cream.
2. COSRX Oil-Free Ultra-Moisturizing Lotion
Like the name of the product already says it, this is an oil-free lotion. This cream is highly recommended for people with sensitive or oily skin (or both). It is a slightly lighter cream that has a soothing and moisturizing effect. This product is completely vegan and cruelty-free, it is also an excellent moisturizer for oily acne prone skin types.
Click here for more info and prices on Amazon
Click here for more info and prices on iHerb and get 5% off
Click here for more info and prices on on YesStyle and get 10% off
Click here for more info and prices on Wishtrend and get 10% off
3. Benton Aloe Propolis Soothing Gel
Benton is a ‘clean beauty’ cosmetics brand that is focused towards healthy products. The soothing gel from Benton is made for people with oily or oily acne prone skin. It consists of 80% aloe leaf juice and is another cruelty-free product. This cream soothes the kin, moisturizes and brightens the complexion of your skin.
4. Laneige Water Bank Hydro Cream EX
The moisturizing cream from Laneige is light and refreshing, as it provides the skin with deep moisture. It is an excellent cream for oily and combination skin types. This cream contains mineral water and vegetable infused water.
5. Nature Republic Shea Butter Steam Cream Fresh
This shea butter steam cream by Nature Republic is a facial cream for oily and combination skin types. It contains 200ppm shea butter and is a deep moisturizer that lasts for at least 48 hours. Reviews say that it doesn’t leave an oily or sticky feeling after applying and absorbs quickly.
6. The Plant Base AC Clear Moisture Pure N Cream
This cream from the Plant Base is an excellent moisturizer for those with oily or complex skin. Apart from being a moisturizer, this cream also soothes and calms the skin. Bonus, this cream is completely cruelty-free.
7. The Face Shop Dr. Belmeur Clarifying Facial Moisturizer
Dr. Belmeur is not the most famous brand, but many people absolutely love this clarifying facial moisturizer. This cream is perfect for oily skin types or people with blemished skin. It is a light and low-irritant moisturizer which takes care of the oil levels and moisture balance.
8. Innisfree Green Tea Fresh Cream
This refreshing gel cream from Innisfree contains fresh green tea from Jeju. This line is specially created for the oily skin type as it is an instant moisturizer but doesn’t leave any oily residue.
NOTE: There are different Innisfree green tea products available, but make sure you pick the Innisfree Grean Tea Fresh Cream as the other products are for different skin types. Like the Innisfree Balancing Cream With Green Tea is an excellent Korean moisturizer for combination skin.
9. belif True Cream Aqua Bomb
The belif True Cream Aqua Bomb is a lightweight gel-cream that cools, refreshes and hydrates the skin. This product can be used for all skin types and people with oily skin can really benefit from the lightweightness of this cream.
Final Verdict Best Korean Moisturizer for Oily Skin
So which of these Korean moisturizers for oily skin should you pick? Well that really depends and what specifically you are looking for. Are you looking for a moisturizer or also a soothing cream? Spend some time researching the products above, especially check their their unique characteristics and ingredients.
How to Use Korean Moisturizers for Oily Skin
Your moisturizer should always be the final step of your skincare routine as it’s usually the thickest cream. Before applying a moisturizers, use your cleanser, toner, essence and serum. Using all these products together will provide optimum hydration.
NOTE: It is not only important to pick a moisturizer suitable for oily skin types but your other skincare products should also be suitable for your type of skin.
- Avoid using sulphate products. Suphate strips the skin of natural moisture which makes the skin produce more oil. If you have oil prone skin, this will result in overproduction of oil.
- Moisturize regularly. Even oily skin types need to moisture on a regular basis. Try to moisturize twice a day, just like someone with dry or combination skin.
Other Korean Skin Care Products for Oily Skin
Like mentioned above, not only your moisturizer should be suitable for your oily skin type, but your other skincare products should also fit your skin type. Listed below are some other products you might want to check out.
- COSRX AHA/BHA Clarifying Treatment Toner – This is one of the best selling COSRX products. If you are looking for a decent two-in-one gentle toning product that is suitable for oily skin, then give this product a try. Click here for more info and prices.
- Innisfree Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam – This volcanic cleansing oil is excellent for those with oily skin and large pores. It’s both purifying and moisturizing. Click here for more info and prices.
- Mizon AHA 8% Peeling Serum – This serum is just fantastic, it has exfoliating benefits and also decreases your sebum. Click here for more info and prices.
- Tony Moly Chok Chok Green Tea – Made from fermented Green Tea extract, this cream provide intense hydration.
Other Ways to Take Care of Oily Skin
Apart from using moisturizers, there are other ways to take care of your oily skin.
- Wash regularly – When washing your face, use warm water and a soft cleanser. Avoid harsh or fragranced soaps and don’t overly wash your face.
- Pat the face dry – Instead of rubbing your face with a towel, pat it dry with a soft towel.
- Use a toner – Before using your moisturizer, use your other skincare products like a toner.
- Exfoliate once a week – You can exfoliate your skin once a week to open up the pores and to removed all the impurities.
- Use facial masks once a week – Clay (e.g. Innisfree Jeju Volcanic Pore Clay Mask) or honey (e.g. I’m From Honey Mask) masks are good masks to use for those with oily skin.
- Have Regular Skin Care Treatment – Korea is the best country to do regular skin treatments, the prices are affordable and quality is high.
TIP: If all this doesn’t work and you still have excessive oily skin, consider visiting a dermatologist.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are lots of different types of moisturizers, but people with oily skin should look for a water-based and oil-free moisturizer.
There are a couple of things you should look out for when picking a moisturizer, including the ingredients, if it’s oil-free and the form (lotions, creams, gels, etc)
Yes! There are many Korean skin care brands that created hydrating and moisturizing products just for oily skin types.