Incheon Airport To Myeongdong | By Bus, Train And Taxi
Myeongdong is a vibrant area in central Seoul filled with department stores, restaurants and great hotels. It is the perfect base for travelers to discover the rest of Seoul from. After a long flight to Seoul, we want to get to our accommodation as soon as possible without wasting time figuring out public transport. Read on to find out more on how to get from Incheon airport to Myeongdong by bus, train or taxi.
Things To Know About Myeongdong
- Luggage storage: are you arriving early in Seoul and can’t check into your hotel yet, then you can store your luggage in Seoul station or Myeongdong station.
- Luggage delivery service: have heavy suitcases and don’t want to struggle carrying those on the train or bus, the consider having your luggage delivered from the airport to your hotel. More info here.
- What to do: Myeongdong is not only a district for shopping and food, but there are many other things to do in Myeongdong like the Nanta Performance, photo shoots and more.
- Street food: enjoy the best Korean street food at Myeongdong night market. Every evening the market opens around 4 and you can try snacks like grilled lobster, cheese sticks, hotteok and more.
- Where to eat: Myeongdong is not only the area of street food, but also of the best restaurants. Including Myeongdong Kyoja and more.
- What to wear: this depends on the season in which you’ll be visiting Seoul. Check what to wear in Korea here.
- Seoul itinerary: Myeongdong should definitely be included in your Seoul itinerary. It is a great area to stay in and is the perfect base to discover the rest of Seoul from.
- Shopping Guide: Myeongdong shopping street is the place to be when looking to buy souvenirs, skin care products and much more.
- Where To Stay In Incheon: Are you arriving late in the evening or leaving early morning, then book a hotel near Incheon Airport to make your trip more comfortable.
Incheon Airport To Myeongdong
When looking to go from Incheon Airport to Myeongdong there are a couple of option in terms of transport. Below is a list of the following: by train, taxi, subway and bus. Taking the AREX is the fastest and cheapest option, while the Airport bus takes you right to main hotels in Myeongdong.
1. Incheon Airport To Myeongdong By Train
Going by train is the fastest way of getting to Myeongdong. The AREX express runs between Incheon Airport Terminal 1 and 2. The train ride only takes 43 minutes and costs around 8000 krw (6000 krw online), one way. Free WiFi and plugs are available on the AREX. The train runs daily from 5 am to 11 pm. The train runs every 30 minutes and tickets can be bought online or at Incheon Airport.
It is highly recommended to book tickets online, especially during the peak season as queues at the ticket office can be quite long. Tickets online are 20% cheaper than at the ticket office. More info here.
The train leaves from B1 Incheon Airport and goes to Seoul station. Leave the train at Seoul station and change to subway line number 4. Myeongdong is 2 stations away from Seoul station. An additional fare is charged when transferring and a T Money card is needed to transfer. The additional fare is 1250 krw.
TIP: If you have purchased a Discover Seoul Pass, you can use the AREX express for FREE. When purchasing tickets for the AREX, it is not counted as part of your 24/48/72 hours.
2. Incheon Airport To Myeongdong By Bus
When looking to take the bus from Incheon Airport to Myeongdong, there are a couple of options, but the 2 listed below are the most convenient in terms of purchasing tickets.
2.1 Airport Bus Incheon To Myeongdong
The KAL Airport bus goes straight from Incheon Airport to Myeongdong. The first bus departs just before 5 and the last one at 10.50 pm. Tickets for the bus are slightly more expensive than the AREX, but seats are super comfortable and the bus brings you straight to your final destination. Free WiFi and water are available on board. The bus takes around 1,30 hours, depending on traffic. More info here.
Tickets for the bus are 16 000 krw (14 000 krw online) and the bus leaves both from Incheon Airport Terminal 1 & 2. In Myeongdong, the bus stops at the Myeongdong Hotel, Aloft Seoul and Lotte Hotel which are all located in the Myeongdong neighbourhood.
The bus leaves from Incheon International Airport Terminal 1, Floor 1, Gate 4, KAL Limousine Service Counter (No. 22) or Incheon International Airport Terminal 2, Floor 1, KAL Limousine Service Counter.
2.2 6015 Bus Incheon To Myeongdong
The 6015 bus from Incheon To Myeongdong is very similar to the Airport bus. It leaves every 20 minutes from Incheon Airport and takes around 1,30 hours to reach Myeongdong. Tickets cost 15 000 krw and can only be purchased on site. The bus stops at the following hotels Nine Tree Hotel, Myeongdong Skypark 3 Hotel and Hotel L7 Myeongdong. Announcements are made for each stop.
3. Incheon Airport To Myeongdong By Taxi
The most expensive option is to take a taxi from the airport to Myeongdong and this is not always the fastest option. Getting in a taxi is a great option when arriving at night at Incheon Airport. The air distance from Incheon Airport to Myeongdong is around 50 kilometers.
There are 2 options when looking to take a taxi, book a taxi online or go to the taxi platform and queue until it’s your turn. Booking a taxi online is recommended as it is a fixed price and you can pick the size of the car based on the amount of people you are travelling with. Book a taxi online here.
If you decide to get a regular metered taxi, then upon arrival at Incheon Airport, follow the signs to the taxi stop. It is best to have the address printed on a piece of paper in Korean.
Note: when taking a taxi from the airport, additional toll fees will be charged.
4. Incheon Airport To Myeongdong By Subway
The last option on getting from Incheon Airport to Myeongdong is by subway. An all stop train runs between Incheon Airport and Seoul Station. The subway runs every 15 minutes and takes around 1 hour. At Seoul Station, transfer to line 4 and get off 2 stops further at Myeongdong Station. The total cost of this ride is 4150 krw and is the cheapest option when getting from Incheon to Myeongdong. Use Kakaomaps for the exact subway times.
Note: a T Money card is needed to take the subway or other types of public transportation. Individual tickets can be purchased, but these are more expensive and a double fee is charged when transferring from subway to bus.
Those who purchased a Discover Seoul Pass can use the card as a T Money card, so no additional T Money Card has to be purchased.