Jinhae Cherry Blossom Festival: Yeojwacheon Stream & Gyeonghwa Station
In spring, during the cherry blossom season, South Korea turns into a beautiful pink paradise. All over the country cherry blossom and other flower festivals are happening. One of the most beautiful places to visit to see these pretty flowers is the Jinhae Cherry Blossom Festival, all the way in the south of Korea. Read on to find out more about Gyeonghwa Station and Yeojwacheon Stream on this Korea blog.
- Things To Know When Visiting The Jinhae Cherry Blossom Festival
- About Jinhae Cherry Blossom Festival
- What To Eat At The Festival
- Jinhae Cherry Blossom Festival Practical Details
- Other Things To Do In Jinhae
- Jinhae Hotels
Things To Know When Visiting The Jinhae Cherry Blossom Festival
- Crowded: the Jinhae Cherry Blossom Festival is incredibly crowded. Especially at Gyeonghwa Station. Be prepared for this.
- Tours: If you are going on a day trip from Busan or Seoul, book a tour. These bus or car tours will take you directly to the best spots. Click here for tours leaving from Seoul.
- What To Wear: the cherry blossom season falls early April. Temperatures are still cold, especially on clouded days. Bring a thick jacket. More info here.
- Korea Itinerary: use these example Korea itineraries to plan the perfect trip in spring.
- Tipping: going on a trip to Jinhae with a tour guide? Tipping in Korea is not a custom and only accepted by tour guides and taxi drivers.
- Other flower Festivals: At the same time of the Jinhae festival, there are other flower festivals happening all over the country. Check out Gyeongju Cherry Blossom Festival and Gwangyang Maehwa Festival.
About Jinhae Cherry Blossom Festival
Jinhae is one of the biggest spring festivals in Korea. During the two week blooming period, the Jinhae Gunhangje Festival attracts around 2 million visitors from all over the country and around the world.
Jinhae is an area in the city Changwon, which is located in the South of Korea, in Jeollanam-do province. The festival started out as being a memorial service for naval admiral Yi Sun-sin. He is famous for his victories against Japan in the Imjin war and for the turtle ship invention. Later the memorial event turned into a cherry blossom festival, known all over the world.
1. Where To See Cherry Blossoms
All over Jinhae you will see cherry blossom trees, the streets are literally filled with them. But there are 2 major photo spots, namely Yeojwacheon Stream (romance bridge) and Gyeonghwa Station. These places are located quite far from each other.
2. Yeojwacheon Stream
Yeojwacheon Stream is one of the most famous areas in Jinhae to see cherry blossoms. There are 13 bridges crossing the small stream, making this the perfect photo spot. These bridges became popular as the romance bridges after being aired on a major MBC drama “Romance”.
During the Jinhae cherry blossom festival this area gets really crowded at the start of the stream. Make your way all the way to the last bridge and you’ll be all alone. Perfect to take the ultimate Instagram photo!
3. Gyeonghwa Station
The second famous spot is Gyeonghwa Station, a discontinued train station that still has 2 train locomotives and cars on the tracks. The contrast of the colourful Korail locomotive and the cherry blossoms is just stunning.
This area gets super crowded during the Jinhae cherry blossom festival. The best time to visit is early morning or late afternoon, when all the tourist buses have left.
Gyeonghwa station also featured multiple times on Korean dramas and films, with the most famous ones being ‘Spring Waltz’ and ‘Boy Goes to Heaven’.
Note: this is not Jinhae station. These two train stations often get mixed up.
What To Eat At The Festival
Like any Korean festival, there are many food opportunities at the Jinhae festival. You can eat at the local restaurants near the festival grounds or buy cheap and delicious food from the vendors.
There are only a few restaurants at the Yeojwacheon Stream and no at the
Gyeonghwa Station. It is recommended to eat at the stream, there is a nice restaurant called Jinhae Doeldamgil (진해 돌담길). The menu is very simple and the food is foreigner friendly. They sell seafood bibimbap or vegan bibimbap and yummy pajeon (파전).
Again no cafes at Gyeonghwa Station and 2 or 3 cafes all the way at the end of the Yeojwacheon Stream. In the cafes, they sell delicious treats and drinks. Which is great on a nice day, to sit on the terrace and to watch the cherry blossom. Very relaxing and serene.
There are loads of vendors selling street food, drinks and souvenirs. Get yourself some yummy cherry blossom ice cream and cherry blossom treats, these are only available during the cherry blossom festival.
Jinhae Cherry Blossom Festival Practical Details
Listed below are the practical details for visiting the festival.
1. Opening Times
The festival is open 24 hours but the restaurants nearby or vendors may close at a particular time. Each year the festival falls early April for about 10 days.
2. Seoul To Jinhae
From Seoul you can take the KTX, bus or an organised tour from Seoul. More details how to go to Jinhae from Seoul are listed below.
2.1 Seoul To Jinhae By KTX
From Seoul Station take the KTX to Changwon Station. This is a 2,5h train ride and a one way ticket costs around 50 000 krw. At the train station, use Kakao maps to find the right bus to your destination or take a taxi.
2.2 Seoul To Jinhae By Bus
From Seoul Nambu Bus Terminal take an intercity bus to Jinhae. The bus takes around 4 hours and a one way tickets costs around 25 000 krw.
From Jinhae Intercity Bus Terminal, go straight for 30 meters and turn right onto Jungwondong-ro Road. Go straight for 350 meters and keep left at the fork, go straight from 230 meters.
2.3 Seoul To Jinhae By Tour Bus
The easiest and most cost effective way to reach the festival grounds is by booking a package trip. The bus leaves early morning in Seoul and takes you to the Yeojwacheon Stream and Gyeonghwa Station. Book tickets online.
3. Busan To Jinhae
From Busan to Jinhae it is recommended to take the train or book a package trip. More details on how to go to Jinhae from Busan are listed below.
3.1 Busan To Jinhae By Train
From Busan station take the S-Train to Changwon Station. This is a one hour train ride and a one way ticket costs around 8000 krw.
4. Jinhae Travel Tips
- Wear some colourful clothes that stand out against the white cherry blossoms. This way you will really pop out in your pictures. More cherry blossom photography tips here.
- Shooting with your phone? Get some cool phone lenses to shoot nicer pictures. More info here.
- Check Instagram before making your way to Jinhae, South Korea. You’ll see the latest pictures, this way you can see if the cherry blossoms are in full bloom yet.
- Bring some cash with you as some of the vendors don’t accept card.
Other Things To Do In Jinhae
Apart from the Jinhae cherry blossom festival, there are loads of other things to do in Changwon city and Jinhae.
1. Jinhae NFRDI Environment Eco-Park
The Jinhae eco-park is located around a pretty lake. The scenery is absolutely stunning and the park houses over 65 different kinds of trees and and abundance of flowers. This park was the set for the famous SBS drama ‘On Air’. When travelling Jinhae in spring, summer or autumn, this is a great place to visit.
2. Jangboksan Sculpture Park
This is another stunning location to see cherry blossoms in April. The park overlooks Jinhae and has a wide view of the sea. Apart from cherry blossom trees, there are loads of nice smelling pine trees.
3. Jinhae Dream Park
The Jinhae Dream park used to be one of the best managed landfills in the world. Later the landfill was turned into this stunning park. Yearly it houses many festivals and events. This park is highly recommended for people visiting Jinhae.
If you want to see the cherry blossoms first thing in the morning, before the big crowds arrive, the booking a hotel in Jinhae is a must. Below is a list of where to stay in Jinhae. There are only 2 hotels withing walking distance of the festival.
- French code Hotel: The French Code Hotel lies a 5 minute walk away from the Yeojwacheon Stream. The excellent locations makes this the perfect hotel for visiting the cherry blossom festival. More info here.
- Jinhae Pasta Hotel: This 2 star hotel is also a 5 minute stroll away from the romance bridge. The comfy and affordable rooms are a great place to stay when visiting Jinhae. More info here.