How To Go To Myeongdong Station From Hongdae, Dongdaemun And More
Myeongdong, the place to be in Seoul. The many department stores, street food stalls and cute cafes make this the ultimate location for travelers to stay in. Myeongdong is very well connected to the rest of Seoul, so read on to learn more about how to go to Myeongdong station.
There are loads of things to do in Myeongdong, including the Myeongdong night market which is filled with amazing street food and some of the best restaurants in Myeongdong. The area is also famous for its abundance of shops and department stores, shopping at Myeongdong is a treat for any shopaholic.
- Navigating To Myeongdong Station
- How To Go To Myeongdong
- How Use T-Money Card
- Subway App: the best App to navigate on the Subway network in Seoul is Subway App. The app is in Engish and has real time information on departure times of the trains, fares and alternative routes. This app will show you how to go to Myeongdong in the fastest and cheapest way possible.
- T Money Card: when using public transport, make sure to purchase a transportation card. The T Money card can be used on the subway, bus and in taxis. Buy card here. The Discover Seoul Pass can also be used as a T Money card.
- Kakao Maps: Kakao maps has all the information on bus, subway and taxis. The app is only in Korean, but you can imput destinations in English. A good alternative in English is Naver Maps.
How To Go To Myeongdong
The easiest ways to get to Myeongdong is by subway as there are 2 subway stations in Myeongdong, namely Myeongdong station (line 4) and Euljiro 1(il)-ga (line 2) Station. Below is listed how to go to Myeongdong from different locations in Seoul by bus, subway, taxi or even walking.
- If you are in seoul with kids in strollers or use a wheelchair/scooter then take the subway. Most buses are not stroller/wheelchair friendly. All subway stations have elevators and bigger entrance gates for strollers/wheelchairs.
- Every subway station has toilets, most of the time these toilets are super clean and well kept.
- There is luggage storage in Myeongdong station. Use the lockers to store your stuff and pay by card or T money card.
1. Hongdae To Myeongdong
Hongdae and Myeongdong are quite similar, both areas filled with shops, restaurants and cafes. To get from Hongdae to Myeongdong is quite straight forward and takes only 30 minutes.
Take line 2 at Hongdae Station in the direction of Sinchon, get of at Euljiro 1(il)-ga Station (back of Myeongdong). This only takes 12 minutes and costs 1250 krw.
Another option is to take the airport line at Hongdae Station in the direction of Gongdeok, transfer to line 4 at Seoul Station. Get off at Myeongdong station. With a T Money card, the fare is 1250 krw.
The taxi fare from Hongdae station to Myeongdong would be around 10 000 krw. This may differ, depending on traffic.
2. Seoul Station To Myeongdong Station
The Seoul Station area and Myeongdong just lie next to each other. At Seoul Station, take line 4 and get off 2 stops further at Myeongdong Station. This ride takes 3 minutes and costs 1250 krw with a T Money card.
From Seoul station, a taxi ride to Myeongdong would take around 10 minutes and cost around 4800 krw.
You can also walk from Seoul station, this only takes 30 minutes. Check how to go to Myeongdong by walking on Kakao or Naver maps.
3. Dongdaemun To Myeongdong
There are 2 stations in Dongdaemun, namely Dongdaemun station and Dongdaemun History & Culture Park. Both stations are located on line 4, just like Myeongdong station. Take the subway on line 4 and get of at Myeongdong station. The ride should take around 7 minutes and cost 1250 krw with a T Money Card. By taxi the ride takes around 10 minutes, depending on traffic and costs approximately 4300 krw.
4. Seoul Airport To Myeongdong
There are 2 airports that are connected to Seoul, the closest one being Gimpo Airport and the furthest being Incheon Airport. Both airports are located on the Airport line.
4.1 Gimpo Airport To Myeongdong
The fastest and cheapest way of getting to Myeongdong from Gimpo airport is by taking the Airport line till Seoul station and transfer to line 4, get off at Myeongdong station. This takes only 38 minutes and costs 1550 krw.
Taking a taxi from Gimpo Airport to Myeongdong is a bit more expensive, but is highly recommended when arriving in Seoul late at night or early morning. The ride takes around 45 minutes and costs approximately 25 000 krw. Another option is to book a shared shuttle bus (starting 25 000 krw per person) or book a private taxi.
4.2 Incheon Airport To Myeongdong
The fastest way of getting from Incheon Airport to Myeongdong is by taking the AREX till Seoul station and trasferring to line 4, getting off at Myeongdong station. This takes around an hour and costs approximately 9000 krw. Check how to get from Incheon Airport to Myeongdong by bus, subway and taxi here.
5. Itaewon To Myeongdong
Itaewon is the party and foreigner area of Seoul. It is another great area to stay in, but is not as well connected to the rest of Seoul as Myeongdong. From Itaewon station take subway line 6 and transfer at Samgakji Station to line 4, get off at Myeongdong station. The ride takes 17 minutes and costs 1250 krw. A taxi ride from Itaewon to Myeongdong takes around 9 minutes and costs approximately 6000 krw.
6. Gangnam To Myeongdong
Gangnam is located in the south of Seoul, under the Han river. From Gangnam station, take line 2 all the way to Sadang Station, transfer to line number 4 and get off at Myeongdong station. The ride should take 34 minutes and cost 1350 krw. A taxi from Gangnam to Myeongdong should take around 25 minutes, depending on traffic and cost approximately 11 000 krw.
7. Insadong To Myeongdong
Insadong is literally around the corner from Myeongdong, withing walking distance. It’s a 15 minute walk from Insadong to Myeongdong. You can also take bus 143 at Jongno 2(i)-ga and get off at Lotte Plaza or Shinsegae Department store in Myeongdong. The ride takes 9 minutes and costs 1200 krw. By taxi it would take around 7 minutes and cost approximately 4000 krw.
How Use T-Money Card
A T Money card is a transportation card that can be used on the subway, bus and in taxis in the whole of Korea.
1. Where To Buy T Money Card
The card can be purchased online and picked up at Incheon Airport or can be bought in a convenience store (cash only). It is highly recommended to purchase the T Money card online as it comes with 5000 krw credit. The T Money card can be picked up at 4 locations: Incheon Airport, Taoyuan Airport (Taipei), KL Sentral Airport (KL) or can even be delivered to your home (only in Malaysia).
- Buy Online: 8000 krw (5000 krw credit included). More info here.
- Use Discover Seoul Pass: 36 000 krw (free access to over 35 attractions included. More info here.
- In Convenience Store: minimum 2000 krw + credit (cash only). More info here. More info here.
The T Money card can be topped up in any subway station or convenience store, using cash only. Put 10 000 or 20 000 krw at once on your card, so you are good for a while. When transferring from Subway to bus or the other way around, you don’t have to pay extra. Without a T Money card, there would be an additional fee.
The taxi fare can be paid with a T Money card as well, but make sure you have enough balance left on your card to pay the taxi fare. If you are happy with your taxi driver and are paying in cash, feel free to give a small tip.